Sunday, March 10, 2013

An In(Ac)cident


Nowadays I am suffering with a fractured elbow making it difficult for me to pursue my daily activities. Initially only good thing with the entire incident was that I could still use my right hand. During all this time I was cursing everything and everyone responsible for this incident. For me this accident turned out to be a good incident when I started realising the potential of one hand. Yes for me it was an incident and a memorable one. This was the time when I realised not just what I cannot do with my impaired left hand but also the true potential of my one working hand. All this time I was not ready to let my work suffer so I kept on attending my office and continued doing my assignments. To my amazement not only I was able to complete my work in time that too with one hand,however, I also realized that in this entire process my pace to complete all the assigned jobs increased in no time and thus I was able to cut my timeline at least by one-fourth. I really wonder the reason behind this change. 
Was it the absence of an alternative or the unused potential?

I believe the reason could be attributed to the combination of both. Since we always have an alternative therefore most of the times our true potential is not maximized. It is so great to imagine  that when one hand of our body can achieve so much then how much our body as a whole can achieve. Sounds obvious, however, this thought is worth pondering. Also it is important to realize that a bit of stooping is not only depriving us to achieve the true potential of our height(read mental height) rather it also stops us from reaching there just because we never took that last step which was very much crucial to help us achieve our dreams and continued practice of such incomplete efforts do compel us to forget our dreams which we had painted in our childhood. Aren't we all forgetting those unrealistic dreams of owning a fleet of cars,our own company,being the most successful man/woman on earth. Didn’t we promise ourselves that though we did build castles in the air,however, we shall lay the foundations underneath those huge dreams. How can we let those dreams vanish just because we don’t find the way to lay foundations under those beautiful castles. Aren’t we doing the same mistake on which we have a very famous hindi joke.(To keep the essence alive am writing this in Hinglish).
Ek aadmi ek din ghar ke bahar street light mein kuch dhoond raha tha, tabhi ek raahgeer wahan aaya aur usne uss aadmi se puchcha.
Rahgeer:  Arre bhai kya dhoond rahe ho.
Aadmi:     Mera 1 rupaye ka sikka kahin kho gaya hai.
Rahgeer: Sikka kahan khoya tha.
Aadmi :   Ghar ke andar.
Rahgeer: (Hanste hue): Arre sikka ghar ke andar khoya hai toh bahar kyun dhund rahe ho
Aadmi:    Ghar mein light nahin thi toh bahar aa gaya dhundne

Isn’t it true that since we all don’t see the light at the right place therefore we always focus at the wrong place just because it is easy to convince ourselves by saying that I searched in the light yet I couldn’t find what I was seeking.  Isn’t it easy to say I really tried hard but couldn’t help it? Are we really searching for our dreams at the right place? I think its time we try to bring in a ray of light into that room of darkness and we all shall find our lost dreams rather than fooling ourselves just to look for them at the wrong place altogether.
Isn’t it time to get back to our dreams and start searching them which have been lost in the darkness of distractions and ignorance rather than searching at a place where those dreams are completely non-existent? Isn’t it time to realise our true potential and to channelize them in the right direction to seek our goals which did motivate us to start our journey long back?
It is time all of us look back at those unrealistic dreams and use our skills which have grown considerably since then and feel motivated to achieve what we started for. It is time we live for all those thoughts and dreams which are worth living.

I do not think I could have justified this memorable experience in a better way than writing it down with just my one hand which is capable to deliver more than its potential.

12 comments:

Kunal Chandra said...

I am truly amazed you typed this out with one hand. Well written and indeed great thoughts. Also good to see how a negative incident can inspire you positively. Indeed, just the love f holding on to your childhood dreams will be enough to get anyone restarted on the path of achieving them.

Unknown said...

@Kunal:

Thank you for your comments.I hope I have been able to do justice to the writing as well.

Amit Yadav said...

From a accident to dreams to looking inside for achieving more.....nicely written
Now you have definitely found writing as new area from this In(ac)cident!!

Unknown said...

@ Amit Yadav:

Thanks for your comments.I think the subject of this post has got a better meaning now :)

selva ganapathy said...

Nice write up Harsh... you've nicely penned down the thoughts!. The realization within you will take new heights now :-)

Unknown said...

@ Selva:
Thanks for such encouraging words

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Good Words !!

Saurabh Jain said...

Very true. Infact, another friend of mine who met with a minor accident couple of weeks back, had a business idea, but was not finding time to work on it. After the accident he was able to concentrate better, and finished the task in a week, when only his mind and hands worked and not his legs. The task would have otherwise taken 1 month easily.

Suddenly imposed limits act as a catalyst to think beyond the routine, and try out different things with limited resources at hand :)

Archana said...

@Kunal... Like your thought process.. quite straight as an arrow. Liked your writeup too...

Unknown said...

Thanks Archana for your comments on my blog.

Subhashree Sahoo said...

Well Said Buddy!!The thoughts have been penned down beautifully.